There is an infinite number of possibilities to spend a spectacular Christmas with children in Madrid. With lights everywhere, wonderful toys, beautiful decorations, and many interesting plans and activities, you will share some memorable moments together as a family.
So today, this article by ShMadrid will focus on some of the best ideas for a Christmas with children.
Related article: Where to Go for an Affordable Christmas Dinner in Madrid
Discover the very best of Christmas in Madrid with your children
We have come up with some of the most appealing plans to spend a delightful Christmas in Madrid when you have children. Find out what these plans are and choose the one (or ones) you like best.
Year after year, Cortylandia manages to pleasantly surprise both adults and children. You can find it on the façade of El Corte Inglés de Preciados at Calle Maestro Victoria, in the district of Centro, and it takes place from November 15 to January 6.
Every Christmas for over 40 years now, Cortylandia has mesmerized us with a new show, and it lasts for approximately 15 minutes. You can find the different schedules on the internet, so make sure you experience a piece of its magic.
There is no doubt in our minds, that this is one of the best ways to appreciate all the Christmas lights, without missing any of its magic and fun.
Stroll through the most popular Christmas markets
Madrid does not have only one, but multiple locations where you can find typical Christmas items and gifts. In over a hundred stalls you will surely find everything you might need, from a crib to Santa’s hat, and from food to handmade leather and jewellery items.
The market at Plaza Mayor is one of the most well-known markets, but there are many other options that are equally interesting:
- The market at Plaza de España
- The Christmas Craft Fair (at Plaza de Santo Domingo)
- The market at Plaza de Callao
- The Christmas Sweets Market (at Plaza Isabel II in the district of Cortes)
- The market at Plaza de Santa Cruz
- The Cat market (special Christmas edition at Gran Vía)
- Pop Up Chic (street market in the district of Salamanca)
- The Aladina Foundation Charity market
- The Peace Messengers’ Charity market (at Plaza de Moncloa)
Related article: Christmas Plays in Madrid
Check out Madrid’s nativity scenes
Preparing your nativity scene at home is something you like doing with your entire family, but home is not the only place you can see nativity scenes. Every year there are many throughout the whole city, on its most characteristic squares.
These are the locations of some of the most spectacular ones in Madrid:
- Nativity scene at Plaza de Cibeles, 1
- Neapolitan nativity scene at the Royal Palace
- Nativity scene at the Royal Post Office
- Nativity scene at Madrid’s History Museum
- Nativity scene at the Cathedral of Our Royal Lady of La Almudena
- Nativity scene at the Convent of San José and Santa Ana (in Ciudad Lineal)
- Neapolitan nativity scene at the Thyssen Bornemisza Museum (in the district of Retiro)
Visit Santa Claus’s home
You can go and visit Santa Claus’s home from December 15 to January 5, in order for the smallest of children to feel the true magic of Christmas.
As every year, this initiative by Coca Cola takes place at the Royal Post Office in Madrid.
You can meet Santa Claus and his elves, and also the Three Kings and their pages will be there.
What are other Christmas activities for children in Madrid?