If you are thinking of deciding to stay in Madrid for another year, there is a great deal of paperwork involved. The majority of this revolves around the renewing of your NIE. In this article we are going to explain process of how to renew your NIE in Madrid.
But before renewal of your NIE can begin you need to have received the official regional placement letter. Only on receipt of this should you contact the Officina de Extranjeros (Foreigner’s Office). They will then arrange an appointment for you to go in and renew it.
Now we can get on to the steps needed to renew your NIE in Madrid.
Step 1 – Documentation
Make sure that before you attend the meeting you have the following documents with you.
1. Your passport (original) along with an entire copy of it (meaning every page needs to be copied).
2. Your NIE card or paperwork. If you are taking a card make sure you have copies of both side of it. If you just have received a piece of paper then make a copy of this.
3. A letter confirming that you will are working or studying in Madrid. Again you should take copies that the office can keep, whilst you keep the original.
4. One standard size ID photo (the kind you would get taken for inclusion in a passport).
5. The EX11 form filled out and also copied.
6. Any original letters that provide proof of your placement for the coming year. Most times the staff at the office will just look at this before returning it to you. But it is wise to take a copy of it just in case.
After your appointment you will need to go to a bank near by and pay €16.32. Now take the receipt that the bank has given you and go back to the Officina de Extranjeros. It is best if you do it on the same day. But often they allow you up to 8 days to pay this sum.
Step 3 – Wait For Your NIE
After all the above has been done the office will then send out the renewed NIE to you. Expect to receive it within the next 3 months. If you are studying in Madrid then expect for it to be sent to your school. Should you be away when it arrives you could always arrange for the school to forward it on to you or keep it until you return.
We hope that you have found this information about how to renew your NIE in Madrid useful. As long as you have made an appointment, plus you have taken along the right paperwork then it shouldn’t prove too difficult to renew it.